Share This Article
Body scrubbing is an ancient technique used to remove dead cells and dirt from the surface of the skin in order to reveal new, healthy, and smooth skin subsequently. Many cultures throughout history have implemented the art of body scrubbing.
The Egyptians are acknowledged as bringing about the first exfoliation techniques. These first techniques utilized pumice stones, alabaster particles, and body scrubs made from sand or plants such as aloe vera, which they deemed as the plant of immortality. But why is body scrubbing so important? Not only does the method of scrubbing slough away dead skin cells resulting in an improved appearance, but it also cleanses the skin, increases blood circulation to the body, eliminates excess fluids, regenerates new skin cells, and is essential, especially as we grow older.
To reap all the benefits of body scrubbing, one must know how to use body scrubs effectively. In our step-by-step guide below, you will find out exactly how to utilize body scrubs effectively to receive all the healing and beneficial exfoliation properties.
- To get the most consistent benefits of body scrubbing, aim to scrub your entire body daily, even if only for 5 minutes.
- For those new to body scrubbing, please be gentle, as you do not want to be too abrasive and irritate the skin. Light to firm pressure is recommended. Over time the skin will develop “resistance” to body scrubbing, and more pressure can be applied.
- Make sure to have the appropriate body scrubbing tools. These can include a mitt, loofah, sponge, body brush, or soft towel.
- Whichever tool you choose, make sure to use it in a circular motion working your way up the body. First, start with the feet, ankles, and legs, and then work on the hands, arms, and shoulders. Gradually work your way down the back and then up through the torso towards the heart.
- After you have completed body scrubbing, please wash your scrubbing tools with mild soap and warm water and hang them up to dry after each use. Cleaning your tools is a vital step in keeping bacteria from developing.
- To activate blood circulation throughout the body, a cool water rinse after a body scrub is a key part of the process. Plus, it will leave you feeling refreshed and revitalized.
- Once out of the shower or bathtub, pat dry and moisturize. For best results, moisturize while the skin is still damp.
Body scrubbing is a multi-purpose approach to achieving better skin health. After all, our skin is the largest organ of our body. Therefore, taking care of it is crucial to our well-being. By using body scrubs as a tool in our wheelhouse to health, we can accomplish so many things: exfoliation, cleansing, stimulating and circulation of lymph fluids, elimination of toxins, improved blood flow, natural secretion and production of oil, and improved skin tone and texture.
Now that we’ve convinced you why body scrubbing is an indispensable technique you can implement in your daily life for overall health, check out our next article, “3 Homemade Body Scrubs to Pamper & Revitalize Yourself “ to find out how you can create your own DIY body scrubs to make you feel and look energized, reinvigorated, and glowing.