Share This Article
This Sweet Potato Coconut Curry Soup with Crispy Beluga Lentils is an easy, flavorful meal that can be prepared in under an hour. The combination of sweet potatoes and coconut milk gives the soup a silky smooth texture and a deliciously sweet creamy flavor. The beluga lentils are packed with protein and fiber and provide a nice crunchy, savory contrast to the soup. This dish is a great way to enjoy the warm flavors of curry without spending too much time in the kitchen. Plus, it’s vegan and gluten-free, so everyone can enjoy it. You can even serve it with naan bread for an extra comforting experience.
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of unrefined coconut oil (We love Dr. Bronner’s Coconut Oil)
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon of ground turmeric
- 3 tablespoons of freshly grated ginger or 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons of sweet curry powder
- 2 pounds of sweet potatoes (or 2 large), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 carton of vegetable stock (We love Pacific Organic Vegetable Stock)
- 1 can of full-fat coconut milk (We love Native Forest Organic Coconut Milk)
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 shallots, roughly chopped
- 1 cup of cooked beluga lentils (We love Food To Live Organic Black Lentils)
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro, chopped
- a handful of cashews, toasted and chopped (We love Aurora Cashews)
- Lime wedge
- Heat one tablespoon of coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion and saute until translucent, about 2 minutes. Next, stir in the turmeric, ginger, and curry powder. Cook for another minute or two to awaken and release the fragrant aroma of the spices. Then, add the cubed sweet potatoes and broth.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through and soft.
- Use a handheld immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth (add more broth or water if the soup is too thick for your taste). Stir in the coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. Cover and keep warm while you prep the lentils.
- Combine 1 cup of black lentils with 3 cups of water. For more flavor, add ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Simmer gently without a lid until the lentils are tender. Start checking the lentils after 15 minutes, so you can turn off the heat as soon as the lentils have reached the texture you want. You want the texture to be tender but not mushy.
- Use a colander to drain any remaining water from the lentils immediately.
- Heat one tablespoon of coconut oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Mince the shallot and saute it until it’s translucent—Saute for about 2 minutes or until crispy. Add the lentils and season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and top with a spoonful of lentils, cilantro, chopped cashews, and a lime wedge.
Savor the heartwarming blend of flavors and nourishing ingredients in our Creamy Curried Sweet Potato Soup with Crispy Black Lentils. With its velvety texture and aromatic spices, this soup will soon become one of your go-to meals. The crispy black lentils add a delightful crunch, elevating the experience to new heights. Whether enjoyed as a comforting meal on a chilly evening or as a delicious appetizer for gatherings, this recipe will leave you satisfied and content. So, gather your ingredients and embark on a culinary journey of comfort and taste with this wholesome and nutritious Curried Sweet Potato Soup. Enjoy!
Nutritional Facts (per serving): Approximately 6 Servings
- Calories: 315 kcal
- Total Fat: 17g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 320mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 35g
- Dietary Fiber: 6g
- Sugars: 7g
- Protein: 7g
- Calcium: 74mg
- Iron: 4mg
- Potassium: 680mg